Sponsorships are one of the most common and potentially reliable ways to monetize a podcast. But especially for podcasters with smaller audiences — those who don’t have access to the bigger networks of corporate podcast advertisers — getting conversations going with potential sponsors isn’t easy, and knowing how to propose terms and set up deals isn’t always clear.
We hope to shed some light on that with this episode, in the wake of Jerod signing up a new sponsor for The Assembly Call. He learned a few things from the experience, and you know Jonny always has plenty of advice to provide when it comes to sponsorships.
Among the topics we discuss:
• The unique story of how Jerod’s latest sponsorship deal came out.
• An underrated source for potential sponsors.
• The importance of having “ad spots” in your show even before you sell your first ad.
• The three parties that any sponsorship deal always has to be a win-win-win for.
• What to use as a starting point for terms and negotiations.
• The benefits of a sponsorship/affiliate blend.
• The importance of not being an asshole.
• Why you need to be organized and take the lead.
• What data to present to potential sponsors and how to respond to their requests.
And much more.